Sunday, April 21, 2024

ABDULKADIR HERSI (YAM YAM), ‘I AM SOMALI’ TRANSLATED BY THE SOMALI-ENGLISH POETRY COLLECTIVE


THIS IS A REWRITTEN VERSION BY AHMED FARAH...

In this ceaseless stride of days, If true life you've embraced, Cast your gaze upon the yester years, Trace the lineage, quell the fears, Pose the question: Who embodies Somali?

None who breathe dare oppress my soul, For in equality, my creed unfolds. No hierarchy, no veiled disdain, Witness true hospitality, not feigned. I DECLARE: I AM SOMALI

Those who feign care yet wield chains, Like leaky vessels, deception stains. Your duplicitous schemes, I'll evade, Betrayal's snares, I'll swiftly evade. Resistance echoes in my resolute cry: I STAND PROUD: I AM SOMALI

Though scant in riches, my spirit thrives, Rich in honor, dignity, it thrives. To foe, unyielding, to friend, devout, My heart's refuge, beyond doubt. With unwavering spirit, I affirm: I AM SOMALI

Through rugged paths, clear my way, Amidst known borders, I'll hold sway. Where danger lurks, my sword defends, Even as my soul, on fate depends. I PROCLAIM: I AM SOMALI

The adversary, a fleeting wisp, Yet, if dared, my defiance persists. In victory's embrace, I'll not oppress, Rights restored, to wronged, I profess. Justice guides my hand: I AM SOMALI

War's specter shunned, peace pursued, Yet, unyielding if foes intrude. Against hostility, I stand tall, No craven stance, against the brawl. Resolute, yet tempered: I AM SOMALI

Swift as the wind, but not impulsive, Venomous, yet clothed in patience's impulse. Goodness sought, where it's direly needed, A beacon amidst shadows, undeterred. Ever steadfast, I proclaim: I AM SOMALI

To those who spurn my perspective's light, No coercion bends my steadfast might. Joined with brethren, across the earth, I cast off chains of unjust berth. Unshackled, unswayed: I AM SOMALI

Though wealth eludes, your patronizing pity, I shun hollow praise, awake, not witty. No slumbering soul, wide-eyed I tread, Empty vows, my spirit's not misled. Unmoved, unswayed: I AM SOMALI

Amidst cattle's graze, division's hand did reach, Like scattered herds, on distant beach. Yet, the mark you try to conceal, My task, my duty, wounds to heal. Reunite, redefine: I AM SOMALI

No comments:

The Somali Government Strategy to Negotiate with Terrorists: A Threat to National Security and Regional Stability The Somali government’s ...